Sunday 29 November 2015

Signs of Love?

I’m a Libra and he’s a Leo. Leos can be extremely demanding and bossy while Libra can argue like hell, says Linda Goodman in her ‘Love Signs’. How true!
I’m a die hard romantic and he, a man of science. Weren’t people in love supposed to sit gazing into each other’s eyes for hours on end and bask in lavish praises? Or so I thought. As time flew, our negative traits surfaced more often as the conflicts and demands of life made us increasingly crappy and irritable. Meanwhile we zoomed ahead with our careers and before we knew it our kids had outgrown nappies and nannies. Out went all the lovey dovey notions of love that I had conjured up as a newlywed.
Then one fine day, disaster struck like a thunderbolt and it struck me! The culprit? Brain tumour!!
After ten days of unconsciousness and a sixteen hour long surgery, I woke up to a new me –a half shaven head, a partially paralyzed limb, innumerable stitches, bandages and all. Suddenly it seemed that our fast paced life had flip- flopped into slow motion. My hitherto busy husband stood stoically by my side, all throughout. He complimented me on my tousled look; he held me gently and boosted my confidence. He helped me walk, one step at a time, along the hospital corridor. He let the sunshine in. And we rediscovered love. 
It’s been two years now and I’m up and about. But we’ve slowed down our paces now. We go for long rides together, savour our ice creams, splash in the pool, appreciate our kids, and stop to talk to our neighbours and to admire the sunset. We dream more.
He’s still bossy and I still argue but we know that our bond will last forever; in sickness and in health, for better or for worse. 

              

 [written in August 2015]

3 comments: